With so many DIY tutorials online, it is easy to think you can take on the project of repainting your home yourself. Although you are probably capable of this feat, it might be worth it to hire a professional. To paint well requires patience, skill and finesse.
Reasons to Hire a Professional
Here are a few reasons why you might prefer to hire a professional over doing the work yourself.
1) Prep work: This always takes more time than you expect. Your walls need to be cleaned and repaired so they won’t cause the new paint to crack, peel or chip. Greasy spots and soap scum can interfere with the paint’s ability to adhere to the wall. You also need to cover all furniture and put a protective sheet of plastic over your flooring. Specialists do all of this for you.
2) Safety: Professional painters have the equipment to get the job done competently and safely.
I once had a customer tell me that “it is cheaper to hire a professional painter to paint the 2 story foyer the is was to call an ambulance for her husband, if he fell off the ladder.” I laughed, but later I thought how right she was. We have the tools and experience.
3) License and insurance: You should always work with a contractor that is fully insured and licensed. This will ensure you are protected in case an accident does occur.
4) Quality: Professionals are called professionals for a reason. You can expect much higher caliber work than that done by an amateur. We know the right prep, paint, roller cover, ect.. to insure the proper finish, straight cutline, and how to minimalize sheen issues.
5) Clean-up: Contractors should clean-up after themselves, so you don’t have to worry about it. You get to come home to a freshly painted interior.
What to Expect
You can expect professional painters to be well organized and knowledgeable. They can give you advice on products and colors. It is wise to choose painters that have a reference. Ask to see samples of past work. True professionals will have no problem showing proof of their expertise. Always check that the contractor has a license and adequate insurance. Accidents do happen even with the most experienced crews.
Choose to go with experts when it comes to painting your home.